29 Nov Electrical Switchboard Do’s and Don’ts
Your electrical switch board, not to be confused with your electricity metre, is the electrical heart of your home. It is responsible for distributing power throughout your home. If you are experiencing any electrical issues, the first place to always check is your switchboard.
Having a switchboard is a big responsibility, and it is important that you know a little bit about the do’s and don’ts that come with the electrical switchboard in your home.
- Do take the time to learn about how your electrical switchboard works and which switches are for which circuits. If you don’t understand how your switchboard works, ask your electrician.
- Do upgrade your switchboard if it is outdated (over 15 years old and using a ceramic switchboard) or overloaded.
- Do switch your main switches off in the case of an electrical emergency. Your main switches can be found on your switchboard.
- Do also call your local electrician should you be experiencing issues with your switchboard.
- Do teach your children about the dangers surrounding electricity and electrical switchboards so that they are aware.
- Don’t let the periods between your electrical switchboard maintenance become too long. You should have maintenance done around twice a year to be safe.
- Don’t allow young children to operate or fiddle with your electrical switchboard. The switchboard should be in a place that is not accessible to children.
- Don’t overload your switchboard. If you notice flickering lights, warm plugs, or other warning signs, you should call an electrician ASAP.
- Don’t operate your switchboard with wet hands. Make sure your feet are also dry.
- Don’t attempt to fix any electrical issues concerning your switchboard yourself.
- Don’t ever attempt to touch exposed wires.
In order for your electrical switchboard to work effectively and for the power supply in your home to be safe, you should ensure that you have electrical maintenance performed about twice a year and always call your electrician if there is an issue.
Are you looking for an electrician that can provide electrical switchboard maintenance, repairs, upgrades, and installations? Power Electrical’s professional electricians offer a comprehensive range of electrical switchboard services. Get in touch to learn more now!